Monday, June 23, 2014

Second Week= Second Weak? (Guss)

So the second week in the immersion term I have finally settled into a routine that involves shadowing my mentor Dr. Lisa Vasanth in the office in mornings, as well as the fellows staff in the office. There are several clinics that I normally follow the fellows around from 9-12 in the morning.  They are the arthritis clinic, comprehensive arthritis clinic, rheumatology new patient clinic, and the connective tissues clinic.  I also shadow the fellows and the attending doctor around in consult services everyday. I find these particularly interesting because I get to hear the fellows discuss the patient first and then we get to visit them and we can keep track of their progress over their stay in the hospital.  This week the one case that stood out was a women with dementia as well as severe rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and they were worried that the RA could affect the spine and cause more trouble.  Another favorite part of the week is meeting with one of the teaching professors Dr. Paget.  Once a week for about an hour all the fellows (and me) crowd into his office and he reviews cases he finds particularly importnat or worth while for us to know. He explains a lot which is great for me because I am definitely the least knowledgable person in the room.   Overall this week was not as exciting as my first but was definitely a good experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment