Sunday, June 15, 2014

Week 1



I spent the first partial week weaving through administrative hoops in attempt to both contact my assigned clinician mentor and find someone else that could help me out. I ended up meeting my mentor for the first time on Friday morning, only to find out that he is not sure what I am supposed to do here; he will be gone for two weeks starting today. Concurrently, I had to chastise myself to gain access to the Operating Room.

Anticipating the absence of my normal mentor, I found Dr. Scherr in urology (he was willing to help with OR access, as he recalls our lab from teaching 4110 in the past?). I observed a few partial nephrectomies and an ostomy. These observations had somewhat limited utility, as it was difficult to observe from the distance required to keep the operating field sterile. I will ask my new temporary clinical mentor if I can gown up so I can get closer.

You think this this the start, but it is really only the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment