Tuesday, July 1, 2014

My third week in NYC

My main goal this week was to set up all the equipment for the experiments I'm running in collaboration with the Goldring lab. This required a significant amount of troubleshooting because the equipment hasn't been used in two years, but I was able to get everything up and working. Next week, I plan to begin my experiments and learn new skills with some cartilage experts in the Goldring lab. I also completed all of my microCT scans for analysis back up in Ithaca this week.

Besides my lab work, I experienced two new things in the hospital: cardiothoracic surgery and the pediatric intensive care unit (PICU). I observed an aortic valve replacement and the beginning of a mitral valve replacement. The fellow working the echocardiogram was very helpful and I learned a lot from him on how to diagnose heart problems. Seeing an open heart surgery for the first time was pretty intense, but overall, I enjoyed it a lot. In the PICU, I saw a bunch of different cases with patients varying from a few months old to their teens. A lot of the terminology the team used was very difficult for me to understand, but hearing them discuss what their plans were based on the patients' conditions and X-rays was awesome, as I learned how some doctors have to think like engineers on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment