Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Week 1 Redo Post

During my first week at the Hospital for Special Surgery, I was able to shadow two surgeons in the clinic. First was my mentor, Dr. Michael Cross, a hip and knee surgeon, and second was Dr. Anil Ranawat, a sports medicine surgeon. With Dr. Cross, I was able to observe a variety of patients, some of whom were first seeking advice from Dr. Cross due to joint pain, and others who had recently received hip or knee replacements. With Dr. Ranawat, I got an idea of the breadth of traumatic injuries that can occur from intense physical activity, ranging from ACL tears to severely inflamed or arthritic joints. Next week, I plan to join these surgeons to observe arthoplasty and ACL reconstruction in the operating room.

In addition to the clinic, I have begun two research projects. The first is my clinical project with Dr. Cross - I'll be looking at the effects of malnutrition on the probability of infection after a total joint replacement. The second is the continuation of my research in Ithaca - I'll be learning and performing qRT-PCR in collaboration with Goldring lab at HSS. I look forward to more clinical experiences in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment